March 13, 2013

Farewell Bob Wood

Just a quick note tonight to remember my long time friend Bob Wood, who died this past week here in Portland. Bob was a wine lover and huge supporter of Oregon wine, and good wines of the world. He even followed this little blog and commented occasionally over the years. He was a crusty, no bullshit guy who loved his kids, loved golf, and hated all kinds of random things from cargo shorts, Crocs and Bieber to bad grammar and ostentatious wineries that I will leave nameless here (sorry Bob, but I like buying their used barrels).

Underneath all the crust Bob was a sweet man, even if he didn't let you see it too much. Our last communication a couple weeks ago was about another thing that drove him nuts - signs that state the obvious. This one, a picture Bob had just taken, means more now, though we emailed back and forth then about how our kids loved Shel Silverstein's Where the Sidewalk Ends. I didn't think anything more about it at the time, but now it's all the more painful to again say goodbye to someone without being able to say goodbye. They won't ever quite know what they meant and mean to you. I find that feeling impossible to reconcile, heartbreaking.

Sadly, the sidewalk ends this time somewhere in SW Portland. Farewell Bob. We'll keep up the fight while you're away, and keep making shitty Oregon Pinot in your memory.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

A lovely tribute, Vincent.

J@VLG said...

Thanks Vincent. This is tough a tough one to moving beyond. Thanks for sharing. Hope to see you on the 29th.

Ndolce526@gmail.com said...

Once I told Bob he had a soft underbelly. He agreed and signed off as Oscar the Grouch.

Dudley said...

Nicely phrased Vincent. Oregon shines a littler less bright due to his passing. His humor and smile always made me glad to see him. I miss you Bob.

Anonymous said...

Does anyone have a photo of Bob Wood? I'm trying to locate a relative by this name and came across this posting. My condolences for your loss.

Vincent Fritzsche said...

Here's a shot that reminds me of the Woodman I know. Knew.

http://www.sevenofheartswine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/BW1.jpg

Mr. Mike said...

Bob could certainly be a curmudgeon, but he was a loyal friend and just a really good guy. Thanks to Vincent, Brian Dooley and Michael Alberty for their notices. -Mr. Mike