February 16, 2010

2005 Savignola Paolina Chianti Classico

If you follow me on Twitter, you might have seen a few weeks back when I mentioned a ridiculous deal on Chianti at the new Whole Foods in my NE Portland neighborhood. Savignola Paoline is a Portland favorite, in a town that knows and drinks all sorts of Italian wine. Here was the 2005 Paolina Chianti Classico for $8 a bottle, half the usual price and with an additional 10% discount possible if you bought a case. I did and I'm wondering if I shouldn't have bought two. Even at the regular price, Paolina's basic Chianti is always a nice buy in traditional savory and rich Tuscan sangiovese. At about $7 a bottle, it's an absurdly good buy.

Tonight with homemade lasagne, we try this dark garnet beauty. Fragrant pepper, strawberry and black cherry essence, winey and clean but nicely rich with meaty, earthy shades. Then dusty peppery black cherry, almond and mild balsamic flavors, rich and round but finishing long with cleansing acidity and fine tannin texture. I like this on its own as the lasagne cooks. I love it with the meal, just as good Chianti should be. I think the super discount is done, but this would still be worth your time at the regular price now or anytime you come across the producer in the future.

4 comments:

Marshall Manning said...

So, why didn't you tell us about it when it was on discount?

Lots of help you are!

Vincent Fritzsche said...

Follow me on Twitter.
Follow me on Twitter.
Say it with me...
Follow me on Twitter.

Marshall Manning said...

What's Twitter?

I prefer real, old-fashioned friendships where people actually call their friends.

Vincent Fritzsche said...

Phone calls? Old fashioned? Don't give me impersonal technology like the telephone. I would think you'd want a handwritten letter finished with my unique sealing wax. Next time buddy. Next time.