July 29, 2008

Looking for Willamette Valley Pinot Noir

I suppose I need to use the force for good.

Who out there knows where I can get my hands on a half ton of top quality Willamette Valley Pinot Noir for my home winemaking?

Two things are essential:
  1. I'm looking for a grapes from a vineyard that's mostly if not all in commercial production.
  2. I need a grower who will "deal" with a home winemaker, for now.
If I have the choice, I'm looking for older vines and all Pommard or a majority of Pommard clone. But I'll entertain anything serious. No u-pick or homebrew-only vineyards, please. I need a grower who crops low and understands that I'm serious. I'm not rich or crazy, but I'm willing to pay for quality. I know there's no other way.

Do I sound crazy? Well in 2006 I got fruit from the Wahle vineyard, mostly 30 year old Pommard. I got shut out in 2007 and am on the "list" for grapes there this year. I just can't wait around to get shut out again, much as I'd love to be a buyer here. This grower sells commercially but doesn't mind (sometimes) working with home winemakers like me.

In 2007 I lucked into some 20 year old Pommard from a prized vineyard that I can't name. Unfortunately, that source isn't available to me this year, but that's life. I'll take what I can get.

I'm looking to make Pinot Noir at home for one more year (2008), then jump into limited commercial production in 2009. I'm not looking to mess around, so I want to make wine from top quality grapes. Ideally I'll make a connection that leads to more quantity next year and beyond. I have samples of wine I've made, if someone wants to make sure I know what I'm doing.

I didn't envision using this blog to fish for grapes. But it's almost August and, hell, the internet's a powerful thing. If anybody out there has grapes, or a connection or idea of who I might talk to, let me know here or at vincentfritzsche(at)yahoo(dot)com. I'd really appreciate it.

Now back to your regular consumption.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vincent,
Have you tried the Northwest Grape & Wine discussion bd at http://berrygrape.oregonstate.edu/discussion-groups/northwest-grape-wine-discussion/

You might be able to find a source there.

Good luck,
Ruben

Anonymous said...

Vincent,

The Oregon Wine Board has developed a Grape Matching Service where you can post your desire to purchase fruit or contact sellers who have fruit for sale. http://gms.oregonwine.org/

Best,
Hannelore
Oregon Wine Board

Vincent Fritzsche said...

Thanks for commenting. However, it looks like I need to be a winery business or vineyard to register for the free grape matching service. Is that true?

Maybe I should track you down through the Oregon Wine Board. But clearing this up here might help other readers. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

The Grape Matching Service was created for vineyards and wineries, however, anyone can use it. Just register as a winery and post your information. You can specify in your posting that you're a home winemaker.

Best,

Hannelore

Vincent Fritzsche said...

Thanks for the quick reply. I didn't think it would be a big deal to log on, but I didn't want to ruffle feathers or look like I was pretending to be a winery. At least, not yet. I'll register and post a request.